BizTalk 2006 R2 - Upgrade Configuration of EDI/AS2 components
Craig Beuker
2008-02-20 21:11:15 UTC
Greetings,

I am having an issue with upgrading BizTalk 2006 to BizTalk 2006 R2.

The issue is as follows:

On the BizTalk 2006 server, after I initially configured it, I went in and
deleted all hosts and host instances and recreated them as I wanted to
configure the BizTalk Server (ie: A Send Host, a Receive Host etc, etc,
etc) so I could assign various BizTalk artifacts to run in their own
process space. No problems.

Now, I take the BizTalk 2006 R2 install and it upgrades my existing BizTalk
configuration just fine.

I now want to add the EDI/AS2 components. I re-run the install of R2 and
select the EDI/AS2 bits as well as the WCF bits. The installer does it's
thing, components installed.

I now have to configure BizTalk 2006 R2 (The EDI/AS2 components). So I run
the BizTalk Configuration Wizard and here, my problems begin.

When I click on BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime in the configuration wizard to
configure it, I get the following error:

"The feature BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime requires the feature BizTalk Runtime
to be enabled and have valid inputs"

I find this odd, as by looking at the configuration wizard it shows a green
checkmark by the BizTalk Runtime option, indicating to me that the BizTalk
runtime is configured (I should hope so, it was configured before I
upgraded). So, to verify its configuration, I double click on "BizTalk
Runtime" I get the following error:

"[red X] Error loading data. Please click on the icon to view details"

At which point I am done as I can't click on the red x to see the details
and there is nothing I can do on the screen to resolve the issue.

The only way I can find around this issue is to do the following:
1) Unconfigure the BizTalk runtime, reconfigure it. Create a new host and
isolated host during this process.
2) Create a new SQL Server send/receive adapter handler as make sure then
run under the default host. It seems I can't configure the EDI/AS2
components when the SQL Adapter has handlers on any host other than the
default host. Is there a reason for this? Did I do something wrong or
miss something?
3) Configure the BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime

So, now I have everything configured. However, I now have this new host
which was set up when I reconfigured the BizTalk Runtime, which I don't
use. I can use the BizTalk Server Administrator and actually delete them
with no issues as all the adapter handlers are using the other hosts I
initially set up when I set up BizTalk 2006 originally. The problem is, if
I go into the BizTalk Configuration Wizard again, I get errors if I try to
look at the configuration of the BizTalk Runtime or EDI/AS2.

So the question is, Why do I have to reconfigure the BizTalk runtime before
installing the EDI/AS2 adapter? What I am I doing wrong (Am I doing
anything wrong?)?

Thoughts, comments, please let me know.

Thanks.

Craig B..
Frank
2008-10-06 19:41:49 UTC
Post by Craig Beuker
[...]
We experienced something very similar in that when configuring the BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime the error icon display next to each check box. It turned out to be a permission issue. Once I logged out and logged in as the BizTalk Administrator and went back to the Configuration manager I was able to check all the check boxes and proceed with applying the configuration.

At least in our case the BizTalk was installed using the BizTalk Administrator credentials and I think you will need to use whatever credentials were used to install your BizTalk.

Hope this works for you.

Provided by TopXML
http://www.topxml.com
Frank